Question: Who Needs a Bookstore?

No time for a real long post today -- my day-off schedule has been torqed nine ways from Sunday and I'm scrambling to get everything done. But I do have a question for y'all.

This morning I had coffee with a woman who's about to make that crazy leap into opening a new independent bookstore. I think she's picked a great neighborhood. The rents are low -- there are some housing projects nearby -- but there are a few writers in the neighborhood, and she knows from living there that there are some folks with money to spend. Not much of a restaurant or bar scene, but it's one of those neighborhoods on the brink. And no bookstore for miles around. I'm excited for her.

So my question is this: where do you think someone should open a bookstore? Is there a neighborhood, town, street or state that you think needs a bookstore and doesn't have one yet? Why would it be a good spot? What kind of bookstore could be a success there?

Maybe we can get some more crazy folks inspired to open new bookstores. As Andy Laties says, when the revolution comes, it's gonna look like a whole lot of rebel booksellers.

Check out the HOW TO COMMENT ON THIS BLOG link on the right under "Previous Posts" if you're not sure how to post a comment. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Comments

Where did your friend decide to open her bookstore?

Not knowing anything about running, let alone opening, any kind of store, I'll be self-centered and suggest Flatbush. Courtelyou Road is up and coming, with several new stores opening over the past two years east of Coney Island Avenue. There's a subway station, and both express and regular bus stops, so it gets commuter foot traffic. Streetscape improvements have been approved and funded and are already underway. Courtelyou Merchants Association and Flatbush Development Corporation are contacts for more information about commercial opportunities in the area.
Noelle said…
Washington Heights could really use a bookstore. It would have to feature a lot of Spanish language titles, but as of a year ago, there was no bookstore north of Columbia, and most of that area is completely residential.
Von Allan said…
I can't answer this directly (being Canadian and all) but any prospective bookstore owners should check out the ABA's bookselling courses first. That will at least inform them about the realities of the booktrade and the unique difficulties (and rewards) that independent bookstores face.

Have I mentioned how much I hate blogger, by the by? The idea that you even have to tell readers how to reply is one annoyance. And, of course, the lack of email notifications for replies. So, if you reply to this, I'll never know unless I specifically come back to check. I love me my LiveJournal account!

Von

Popular posts from this blog

"Switchblades, bicycle chains and adventuresome tailors": Colson Whitehead on Brooklyn literary culture

Link-Mad Monday: BEA 2007 and On!

House.