Writing Elsewhere

Sorry I haven't been writing much around here lately, but I have been writing for other forums.

Reverend Daniel Meeter was kind enough to post some thoughts on Lent I wrote last week on Ash Wednesday. Not my usual sort of topic, so it made sense to post it on the Old First blog rather than here. But it was very satisfying to express those thoughts, and I'm grateful.

And as you may have noticed, I am now one member of the intrepid blogging crew of the New York Times' new Local blog project for Fort Greene/ Clinton Hill. I'm playing the role of the literary blogger, which means I'll be writing once every couple of weeks about the literary life of the neighborhood, past and present. Andy Newman, the Brooklyn-based reporter who's running the blog, approached me about contributing several weeks ago, and I'm having a great time working with him on this new blogging project.

I'm pretty excited to have a byline in the Times. It's a fascinating project, and I'm learning as much as I'm contributing. But as seems to be the norm with Brooklyn neighborhoods as they are manifested on the internet, the expressions of enthusiasm and interest are occasionally (often) tempered with comments by people who think you don't know what you're talking about. One problem is that yeah, I'm a carpetbagger -- I live in Park Slope, not FG/CH, though my store plans are most definitely FG centered. I don't honestly think that precludes me from being involved in the literary life of the neighborhood -- I know that I am -- but the comments can rankle. But it's probably good practice for doing what I know is best in spite of some slightly snarky opposition. Even if not, I'll just take it as my Lenten discpline.

By the way, if you've got any ideas for Fort Greene or Clinton Hill writers, literary happenings, trivia, or projects -- let me know! I can use all the help I can get. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Switchblades, bicycle chains and adventuresome tailors": Colson Whitehead on Brooklyn literary culture

Link-Mad Monday: BEA 2007 and On!

House.